Monday, September 29, 2014

- MUNCHY MONDAY: KOMODO CAFE -

Your tummy and taste buds will thank you.
Not only does Komodo Cafe offer brilliantly and delectably designed fusion dishes, it brings a modern and intriguing spin to Indonesian food. Named after the lethal lizards from Indonesia who depended on their taste buds, Komodo Cafe proves true to its name with its unique and tasty concoctions that compete with other fusion restaurants. Komodo kicks a lot of fusion restaurants' butts because it still stays true to its own Southeast Asian identity while making a more foreign type of food more accessible and inviting with its Mexican touches, an already favorite to a much bigger population. What started as a food truck can now be enjoyed at two locations, one on Main Street in Venice and the other on Pico Boulevard. I have been to the Venice locations numerous times and have not been disappointed once. I have yet to visit the Pico location, especially since it is closer to my new apartment, but I have stayed loyal to the Venice location. It is on the end of Main Street, closer to Venice than Santa Monica, that is less crowded so I've never had a problem with street parking. There is indoor and outdoor seating, but I've only eaten outside because my pup frequents here with me as well! The staff is extremely nice and accommodating, which definitely needs to be recognized. Orders are taken at the counter and you are given wooden blocks with numbers so there is no need to pick up your food. Food is delivered within ten minutes or less so the wait is no problem. I usually come on Saturday or Sunday afternoons and it's never been super packed to my surprise. 

Now, let's get down to the food. Let's start with the classic flavors, which are available to your liking in either taco, burrito, or bowl forms. The flavors are: Komodo 2.0, Asian Marinated Chicken, Fish n' Grapes, SOI, Blazin' Shrimp, Java, Signature, MP3, Loko Modo, Burgerrito, Early Bird, and Roma. I've had all flavors in taco form except for the Asian Marinated Chicken and Fish n' Grapes. The Asian Marinated Chicken never appeals to me because it sounds a bit boring and I don't ever crave the Fish n' Grapes because of my distaste for most fruits. Everything I've tried is worth tasting, but my favorites are the Loko Modo, Komodo 2.0, and Burgerrito. It'll really be up to your and your taste buds because my boyfriend's favorites were totally different. However, we both concur that everything was unique and left our bellies full and happy. I've never tried any of their salads because I honestly don't feel like having anything along the lines of healthy when I'm here. The Meatballs with Romesco Sauce ($5) are pretty good, even though they come out looking like they were completely burnt. My two favorite food dishes here are the Truffle Fires ($5) and the Kimchi Nachos ($13). I just recently became a fan of kimchi so these nachos are so so good. It's a great mix of Mexican style nachos with the Asian mix of kimchi toppings. The Parmesan Fries are alright, but I'd definitely recommend the Truffle Fries over the parm. The Hawaiian style Mochiko Fried Chicken was almost a disappointment, but maybe that's because my boyfriend makes THE BEST Mochiko chicken for me, hehe. Drink wise, you must must must try the Lychee Lemonade! It's one of my favorite drinks I've ever had and I get it every time I come back. Another good one is the Watermelon Fresca, but I personally prefer the lychee drink. They offer free refills on both, which is such a great deal because you'll definitely want more if you order either of these two drinks. Next time, I must try the Nasi Goreng, their version of friend rice, and Tuna Tartar. Both sound great but I knew that I'll always be coming back for more.

$-$$

Address:
235 Main Street
Venice, CA 90291

 Hours:
Monday-Sunday: 11:00 AM - 9:00 PM (for Venice location)
 
Best For:
People with pets 
People with a love for Asian and Mexican food
Small to medium groups 
Every age

Overall Review:
One of my favorite small eateries in Los Angeles!

Happy eating!
Love, 
Jessie 
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Twenty Two Lavender. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig