Monday, October 6, 2014

- MUNCHY MONDAY: CARMELA ICE CREAM -

This week's Munchy Monday spotlight is on Carmela Ice Cream, the definition of great things come in small packages. Fall may be here and winter soon too, but there is always a time for ice cream!
Living walking distance from Carmela Ice Cream has proven to be a blessing and a curse. With this ice creamery so close, I get to indulge in its deliciousness, but at the same time it's expensive for ice cream and not to mention a lot of calorie intake. Luckily, Carmela uses garden inspired ingredients and organic dairy, which makes me feel less guilty. Their flavors change every so often, but Strawberry Buttermilk and Brown Sugar Vanilla Bean seem to always be on the menu. These two are also my favorite flavors so no complaints here! I've also tried Earl Grey Tea, Salted Caramel, Lavender Honey, Mint Cacao Nib, Cucumber Sorbet, Intelligentsia Espresso, and Lemon Verbana Vanilla Bean. They are all pretty good, with the Earl Grey Tea and Lavender Honey being very sweet, the Mint Cacao Nib being extremely minty, and the Cucumber Sorbet and Lemon Verbana tasting not much like a dessert. I'm also not a big fan of sorbet, which is why I haven't tried the other sorbet items on the menu. The last time I visited, the flavors had changed from how the menu is pictured above. If you're sad about your quickly disappearing ice cream, you can buy most of your flavors in pints to take home. My boyfriend bought me some Brown Sugar Vanilla Bean last week when I was sick and I'm about to enjoy it after I finish this lengthy post.

One thing that I may possibly love more than the ice cream itself is their waffle cones. Once you walk in, the inviting aroma of fresh made waffle cones surrounds you. The waffle cone or cup is an extra $1, but it's totally worth it if you ask me. Hands down the best cone I've ever had. It's hard to describe, but it's not your generic waffle cone you get from everywhere else. I also choose the two scoops option because it's more bang for your buck, right? Do the math! It'll make you feel less guilty about consuming two scoops of ice cream, hehe. Carmela also brews coffee and sells small packaged treats, like marshmallows. I've tried the Affogato, which can be paired with flavor of your choice, and it's pretty good. However, I am comparing it to nothing because that was my first time trying an Affogato.

At this location, the workers are very friendly, but sometimes understaffed I feel. Lines can get pretty long since it takes the staff a long time to get the orders out. Not because the workers are slow, but I like to think of it as quality products take quality time to be prepared for quality customers. Parking is like survival of the fittest since it's on a very busy street in Los Angeles. I had trouble finding the shop at first, but it's right across from Trader Joe's and diagonal from The Grove. If you ask me, a great meal would be visiting Mendocino Farms right across the street and stopping by Carmela for some delectable desserts. The other Carmela Ice Cream location is in Pasadena and they also set up shop at local farmer's markets in Burbank, Echo Park, Hollywood, and South Pasadena. 

$$

Address:
7920 West 3rd Street
Los Angeles, CA 90048

 Hours:
Sunday-Thursday: Noon - 11:00 PM (3rd Street location)
Friday-Saturday: Noon - Midnight
 
Best For:
Every age
Small groups

Overall Review:
Two thumbs up with a tongue hanging out! Perfect for any weather!

Happy eating!
Love, 
Jessie 
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Twenty Two Lavender. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig